Friday, October 29, 2010

Book End Day

No photo with this post, sorry.

Today my day ended just as it started. There were plenty of other things in between, but how it started and especially how it ended are what have brought a huge smile to my face.

I know I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I love public transportation. I always wanted to live in a city where our car could stay by the curb. On days like today, I think about all together selling the car. [I won't, fear not. Barbie still does get her use.]

Here's the breakdown of my book end day.
a.m.
+ Arrive a station and be handed political propaganda. No surprise. The surprise was it was the freaking candidate handing out his postcard and he didn't as much as say good morning or make eye contact. I immediately forgot his name. Not impressed.
+ Business as usual. The ride to work was uneventful. I almost finished the crossword puzzle.

p.m.
+ For the first leg of my trip I sit next to a clown. Yes, a clown. White face paint, red nose, wig. The whole kit & kaboodle. I was amused. Guess seeing a clown days before Halloween isn't that big of a surprise. At any rate, it just seemed early in the day for being in a costume.
+ The middle leg of my trip I sit next to 4 teenage girls. Also dressed up, but more like they are going to a very risque club, not to a costume party. These teens were downright obnoxious. Talking about drugs, sex, alcohol, you name it. Not to mention loud enough for the whole car to hear. I made a point to smile frequently at the grandpa sitting next to them. I bet he was hoping his grandkids don't talk and act that way. As was I...
+ Last leg of my trip there is a man getting his grove on in the station. Dancing away, happy as a clam. He told me he was planning to stay in this weekend, too dangerous to be outside with all the crazies for Halloween. This guy really made me laugh. I often think about breaking out in spontaneous dance or song when waiting for a train. Sometimes, depending on what is on my mp3 player, it is a challenge not to.
+ And here's for the book end. As I ride off to la casa, who is out on the political circuit? None other than Alexi Giannoulias.

Yeah, that was long-winded. I guess all my travels today on the train just remind me to keep my eyes open. You can always find something to lift your spirits & make you think. You can also always find someone to make you smile or want to slap them into adulthood. You just have to look for it.

Happy Weekend, at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment